20 February 2011

West Elm wall art- copied!


A few weeks ago I was in West Elm and noticed this:

      
It's a picture of a tree made from cut-up pages from a book.
I was so excited when I saw this because I love this look and I knew this would be a cinch to duplicate. I snapped this picture with my phone and a few days later I got to work:

I bought a canvas at Michaels in the size that I wanted and then painted it grey.
                                        
Then using the picture on my phone as a guide, I drew the outline of a tree onto the canvas once my paint was dry.  You actually could skip this step and go straight to cutting your paper and gluing it down, but I wanted to try to make my picture look as close to the one at West Elm as possible.  

Here are all my supplies:
  •  -(painted) canvas
  • -scissors
  • -a book that I didn't mind ripping pages out of 
  • -Mod Podge & a brush to apply it

Obviously for the outsides of the tree I had to cut the paper into rounded shapes, but for the pieces I filled the center of the tree with, I used rectangle-shaped pieces. I tried not to make it look too "planned"; none of the pieces of paper I cut were the same size and I made sure to vary the way the text was laid out- right-side up, upside-down, sideways, diagonal...
I glued everything down using Mod Podge and then went back over the whole canvas with the Mod Podge once I had the tree done. 

Here it is finished! My tree looks a little fatter, but over all I think they're pretty close!                                                                                                                                      

Some tips:
For this one I just used pages from one book, but it would look even cooler if you used pages from different books so you'd have varied text size and font and different shades of paper. 
Also if you have the wall space for it, making two of these and hanging them together, or even four and arranging them in a square, would really look cool. Just make them all similar but different, like two small trees and two big. Or, don't make trees at all; make flowers, birds, eggs...whatever! I think it would be almost impossible to make a picture like this of ANYTHING and have it not look cool. 

So go ahead- make yourself some awesome art!


giveaways

8 comments:

  1. Brooke you did an Awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo I like it!!! I think I"m going to do this with the boys' first initial. Ooo I have ideas running now. love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Diana! Leah- great idea!! Post pictures when you make them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad Melody! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished mine! Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute! My wheels are turning. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Personally, I thin yours looks better.

    ReplyDelete