06 April 2011

Decorating a frame with broken glass



When Rob and I were first married and had a brand new house that we were so excited to fix up, one of the first things that Rob did was to add an extra lock to the sliding glass door. It was one of those locks where you drill a hole in the door frame and slide the pin in so the door can't move... Well when Rob drilled into the frame the drill hit the glass and shattered it. I heard a loud cracking sound and turned around just in time to see all the glass explode out of the door and hit the ground. Neither of us said anything for a minute, and then I started laughing and Rob started cussing. We ended up with a brand new door and a {now} funny story.

I swept up the broken glass and saved it in a vase. It's come with us each time we've moved and I've loved always having a piece of our first home.

A few days ago I got an idea to use some of it to decorate a picture frame. We have a picture on our shelves of Rob & I just before we got married (it's the picture that was on our wedding invitations).



I painted the frame white and then used Mod Podge to glue down the glass. I'd spread a layer of glue across part of the frame and then cover it with glass, finding pieces to fit together as best as I could.




After it dried I went back over all the glass with the Mod Podge. I piled it on pretty thick and let it run into the cracks to fill them.

I love how it turned out!







Weekend Bloggy Reading
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
The Lettered Cottage

17 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how the frame turned out!

    Do you buy Mod Podge by the gallon? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Thanks for stopping by 'Just dream, Jelly Bean!' and your sweet comment! Your broken glass picture frame is such a great idea...classy and simple! love it. I'll be sure to follow your blog... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, your picture frame turned out wonderful! Makes me want to go break a window so I can make one!!! :)

    Under the Big Oak Tree

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brook that is such a great idea, I loved how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to turn a memory into something beautiful to look at each day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not only does that look great (how in the world did you think of it), but what a fabulous memory piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a smarty pants you are! ;) It looks fabulous. I don't think I would have ever thought to use broken lass!

    Thanks for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cool! I love that idea. I wouldn't have thought of broken glass myself- there really is a use for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is REALLY beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Genius! Love it! Now I just gotta wait til I break something. Shouldn't be a long wait.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the story and how you kept the broken glass. The frame looked great too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This frame looks awesome Brooke! I have to ask though, since I am mod podge dumb. Can I do the same thing with sand and mod podge? I want to make a picture frame with beach sand, but don't want the mess of just using glue. Do you think it would work?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Frames rather than throwing them out because the glass is broken, or you are just bored with the way it looks. Bring your frame back to vivid life with a beautifully unique design that would look great in any home decor.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How clever! You are so creative! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, Brooke! I appreciate your visit!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hiya very cool website!! Guy .. Excellent .. Amazing .. I'll bookmark your site and take the feeds additionally? I am glad to seek out numerous helpful info here in the submit, we want develop extra strategies in this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

    My blog ... eyelash extensions Cape Town

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey fantastic website! Does running a blog similar to this take a large amount
    of work? I have no expertise in programming but I
    had been hoping to start my own blog soon.
    Anyhow, if you have any ideas or tips for new blog owners
    please share. I understand this is off subject but I simply had to ask.
    Thanks a lot!

    Also visit my web site - beauty salon boksburg

    ReplyDelete