15 June 2011

Foiled plans


Ugh, I'm so frustrated. I just went outside to clean off a shipping pallet that I {thought I had} saved from the trash a few days ago, only to find that it had been taken from my side yard.

I've been wanting a shipping pallet forever. I know, they aren't that hard to come by. It's been pure laziness {and okay, a little bit of shame} that's kept me from driving behind a store and throwing one into the back of my car. But every time I pass a dumpster and see a pile of shipping pallets next to it, my mind starts spinning with all the possibilities that those big wooden squares carry.

So you can imagine my delight when a few days ago I came home to find that our landlord had had our yard sodded, and the pallet that the sod came on had been left leaning against a tree in our front yard. Score! I abandoned my car with my kids and groceries inside, sprinted up the driveway and dragged the pallet to the side yard for safe-keeping until I could figure out what I wanted to do with it.

I've been riding a euphoric high for days thinking about all the amazing decorating potential I had leaning against the side of my house, so to go out and find that it's GONE is so depressing.

Think I'm crazy? Just look at what these unassuming pieces of wood can be turned into:

A plate rack


A daybed


A focal point


A headboard


A coffee table




A dining room table


And look at this- a whole house made from shipping pallets. Now you understand my frustration. That pallet from my yard had the potential to be the first piece to my next house.



I'm more determined than ever to get my hands on one again. Maybe I'll cruise around the back of Home Depot one of these days...I'm sure it's a shipping pallet graveyard back there. And when I do bring one home, I won't leave it in my yard!










Weekend Bloggy Reading

9 comments:

  1. I have an obsession with pallets too! I swear! I've spent years thinking about what I could do with one. My friend's dad owns the largest pallet-making company in the U.S. Just sayin'... I have connections ;)And these are great ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are wonderful inspirations, Brooke. I am so sorry your pallet has been taken away but I am sure you will find another one or two along the way.

    By the way, I love the pallet that was converted into a coffee table and table top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke, your mom and I love reading about your ideas! Now I know what to get you for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, great post today Brooke! I never thought about shipping pallets - brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat inspiration pics!! I like the white coffee table with the glass top. I love stuff like that, but my hubs is not a fan unless it is like a piece of furniture made of the finest wood whittled by Tibetan monks on a mountaintop. He is sort of a pain about decorating. I hope you build the piece of your dreams!

    Thank you so much for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party (and for linking back-I appreciate that!). Hope you'll stop by Serenity Now again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What cute ideas! I love it in the kids room!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How disappointing! Thank goodness your hubby brought another one home for him (major points). I love the little plate rack in these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! I love pallets, too. I'm just a little scared of chemicals that may be on them. I laughed out loud when you admitted you were ashamed to pick one up! Love your honesty! You could go on CL and people are usually giving them away on there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! I just did a post about pallets and we used a few of the same pics. Crazy. We are kindred spirits! :)

    ReplyDelete