22 June 2012

Painted Books

 I've decided that there's absolutely nothing that can't be fixed with paint. 
I didn't come to this conclusion all on my own though. 
Yesterday Sherry Hart of Design Indulgence  convinced me of this with this project:


Readers Digest books that she painted. 

You know how awesome the covers of these books are...
I've been wanting to add some to my decor because of their gorgeous designs. 
Plus these were my favorite FAVORITE books growing up, so now seeing them makes me nostalgic and I really want some in my house. 



This is what's been stopping me from getting some though:


I just don't love this end of them. At least not for my house. In some decor schemes this look could be AWESOME, but for my place I'm not looking for this type of focal point. 

So I've resisted buying any of these for now because I couldn't think of how I'd arrange them so that the  beautiful covers were able to shine all on their own without loosing some of their glory to those dark and colorful spines. 

Then came Sherry and her genius self and painted them and now I've been shown a whole new vision of how beyond fabulous these books can be. 


Holy freak I'm inspired. 

Sherry used a couple different paint techniques on these books so check out her post to see what she did. And then be sure to tell her how brilliant she is. 

Why have I never thought to paint a book??





In a whole new subject, I want to thank everyone who voted for me yesterday in the Olioboard challenge I entered!! 



I really, really, really want to get enough votes to get my moodboard into the top 25 so that it can be seen by the judges. So if you've voted already, you actually can vote again! You're allowed to vote once a day for your favorite moodboards and voting ends in 3 days. So if you've already been sweet enough to go on and vote for me, would you pretty please go do it again? (and again...and again. :) If you haven't yet, you can go here to vote for me. The annoying part about that, which I didn't realize until last night is that in order to vote you will have to sign up at Olioboard, so it's not just a simple one-click type of thing. But the good part is that it's totally free, and all you do to sign up is enter your email and make up a screen name and password. Then to vote for me you just click the big heart that's in the bottom corner of my moodboard. 

Thanks SO so much!! You guys are the best!!

16 comments:

  1. super clever painted books! I love that idea. I"m going to vote for you right now : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry is my favorite blog author, she is so funny and so talented! I haven't visit her blog these few days, have to take a look later.

    Just voted for you today! Hope you made it to the top 25!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I just found your site via Elizabeth at The Little Black Door, who I think is remarkable. I love her home and what she has done with it. Painting the books is very unique, but I do think I remember seeing that done years ago, and trust me, I have many year ago to remember..hahaha. So thanks for letting me see your info and joining you! Oh and btw, just last week I was declaring to my fam that I love the name Brooke. I have always loved it but didn't think of it when I was having my kids. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful books painted!!!!
    Of course there's absolutely nothing that can't be fixed with paint....
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brooke, so glad I found your blog! I can't wait to read more about these painted books. Good luck in the Olio challenge and I will go vote for you right now :)

    xo Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brooke.....thanks for the shout!!! I am glad you liked my books....I was so busy these last few days with Haven....but today I am off to get my own! Gonna go vote for you if it is not too late. Have a great weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pure delight! I remember my grandma having all these books...oh how I would love to have them now. xoxo Thanks for sharing. xoxo I am sooo inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  8. these painted books are simply wonderful! Happy Monday to you, Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a gorgeous way to keep those books looking fab.
    Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is genious! Love using books to decorate.
    Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you. thank you for joining me at my site. And ... Elizabeth is funny. Did you see the older post about that RH chair. Oh MY Goshhshsh, she had me laughing way out loud. (hug)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These painted books are fabulous! The power of paint is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous05 July, 2012

    OMG the painted books are so cute! I love how the paint covers up the stupid titles. This way you get all the good parts about books -- they're cute, they make you look inteligant -- without the boring parts! Love love love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Why don't you paint over all the words on all the pages while you're at it? That would complete your misunderstanding of what books are.

    ReplyDelete
  15. awesome! It's true haven't seen you put much painting up here in a while, but really sweet!
    painters edmonton

    painting contractor edmonton

    ReplyDelete